So you’ve been living under a rock if you haven’t found Chocolate for Basil yet. I mean sis is mean in the kitchen. Jerelle not only can conjure up a bomb vegetarian, vegan, GF recipe, but sis can also take a beautiful shot of her food! Recipes under her belt include Almond Joy Smoothies, Potato Collard Green & Chorizo Soup, and Brown Rice Baked Ziti with Red Bolognese. Our favorite, was this BBQ Chickpea Flatbread, that took no time in the kitchen, but made our souls feel good when we sat down for dinner. Be sure to check out Chocolate for Basil’s recipes on her website for more!
Here’s the ingredients:
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup plus 3 Tbsp of your favorite BBQ sauce (Or try her Bourbon Beet BBQ Sauce)
- CFB Gluten-Free Flatbread Recipe, or other pre-cooked crust
- 6 ounces shredded cheese (I used a mix of part-skim mozzarella and 3 types of cheddar, you can also sub with Vegan Daiya cheese)
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin slices
- handful fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment or aluminum foil. In a large bowl, toss together the drained chickpeas with the 3 Tbsp of the BBQ sauce. Spread out on a lined baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the chickpeas soften and absorb all the BBQ sauce Remove from the oven and allow to cool while you make the flatbread. Turn the oven temperature up to broil.
- Spread the remaining BBQ sauce over the cooked flatbread crust. Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over sauce, and top with the sliced red onions and the BBQ chickpeas. Place the flatbread back into the oven and broil until the cheese melts and begins to bubble, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove, slice, and serve immediately.