Considering we are on the road to Summer Snatched 2019 – we’re finding the yummiest & healthiest lunches and dinners that you can start whipping up in your kitchens. This recipe can double as lunch or dinner – and can be easily made ahead! (Come through meal prep!) Ingredients are super easy to find in the grocery store – and since you already know we’ve tried this recipe in our own kitchen, these twice baked fajita sweet potatoes are #sgsapproved
- 3 whole medium-sized sweet potatoes , washed and scrubbed
- Olive oil
- 1/2 a red onion , thinly slice
- 1 x 250 g | 9 oz cooked chicken breast , sliced into 1-inch strips
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 small red bell pepper , sliced
- 1 small orange/yellow bell pepper , sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper , sliced
- 1/4 cup black beans , washed and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet (or smoked) paprika
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese (or cheddar or mozzarella cheese)
- 1 lime , juiced
- 1/4 cup coriander/cilantro leaves
- Extra lime wedges to serve
- 1 Avocado , diced (to serve – OPTIONAL
Instructions Fast Method:
- Wrap sweet potatoes in one piece of paper towel. Microwave on high settings for 10 minutes. Remove carefully from microwave and unwrap (being careful of the steam that will escape from inside the paper towels). Pierce all over with a fork, wrap again and microwave for a further 14-15 minutes until soft (if the centres are still a little hard, don’t worry they will continue to cook in the oven later).
- Preheat oven to 220°C | 430°F. Spray a baking tray/sheet with nonstick spray and arrange sweet potatoes the tray. Roast for one hour in the oven, or until soft (check them after 40 minutes, pierce with a fork, and continue roasting if needed).
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, add a small amount of oil to the pan; add the onions to a skillet/frying pan over medium-high heat. Once transparent (about 1-2 minutes), add the chicken, garlic and peppers. Cook until the garlic is fragrant. Add in the seasonings and continue cooking until chicken is completely coated in the seasonings. Mix the beans through; take off heat and set aside
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven; allow them to cool for about 5 minutes until they are just warm enough to handle (not until they’re completely cold); and carefully slice them in half. Slice around the inside of the skin, leaving 1cm ‘wall’ around the inside of the skin. Slice small cubes into the flesh for easier removal. Scoop out the flesh and transfer it into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Set the skins aside.
- Add the chicken fajita mixture to the flesh in the bowl; mix it through until completely combined. Stir in the lime juice.
- Arrange the skins on the same baking tray/sheet, and stuff them with the fajita sweet potato mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and the coriander/cilantro leaves. Put them back into the oven for 15-20 minutes until cheese is bubbling and starting to brown (or place under the grill/broiler in the oven for golden, crispy cheese for 10 minutes).
- Serve with any left over coriander/cilantro leaves, lime wedges, avocado pieces and smother in salsa dip.
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments
add a comment